The View From The Pinnacle
We often get questions on what makes it safe to retire. Is it at a certain age or after you meet a particular dollar amount? To find out when to retire, you have to understand what “safe” means. Once you identify what it is you hope to achieve with your money, you may be closer than you think. Are you ready to retire?
Thing’s You’ll Learn Along Today’s Journey
[2:05] – Are Most People Aiming for an Age or Dollar Amount?
- It depends on the person.
- Some want to get out of their job. Sean shares a client example of that.
- Determining when you can retire is all about the math.
[4:14] – How Do You Figure Out that Number?
- Get an understanding of your goals, beliefs, and desires when it comes to money.
- Evaluate what is currently happening and diagnose issues.
- An advisor is a guide to help you make decisions.
[5:30] – What Happens When Someone Has to Work Longer Before Retirement?
- Everyone hopes they have the option to retire early.
- Sean shares an example of someone who had to extend their timeline before retirement.
- The sooner you can get with an advisor, the quicker you can understand your situation.
[7:32] – What Does It Look Like When Someone Is Better Off Than They Thought?
- This happens often.
- Sometimes, people don’t take into account all of their sources of income.
- Sean gives an example of a client with several different sources of income in retirement, including a pension.
- If you have more money than you need, you get to structure where that money can go.
- You get to ask, “Do I want to travel? Save it as legacy money? Give it away?”
10:14 – Is It More Rewarding as an Advisor to Help People Through a Difficult Situation Financially Or Tell Someone They Are in a Good Situation?
- Sean loves seeing people have the freedom to choose what they do with their life.
Looking Back From The Mountaintop
Resources From Today’s Podcast
Sean P. Lee – Contact